In retrospect, this was a very unnerving process for me. As I was writing, I had a very difficult time trying to decide what parts of the story to leave out and what parts to include.
The complete story would have taken quite a bit longer to describe and would have probably been even more depressing (I left out the part where he tried to kill himself shortly after). I also changed some small details to make the storytelling more convenient/anonymous. I changed my friend's name, I changed his instrument (it was actually piano), and some other small things.
It is weird putting a story as deep as this one on the internet for anyone to read, but I also feel it appropriate because it includes a very poignant message about drugs. I know that a ton of students at the U of A get drunk and do drugs frequently and recreationally, and if my story can speak to even a single one of them, then I think that's enough of a reason to put this out there to be read by people who I have never even met.
Anyway, my process was careful and considered from the aim of censorship and convenience.
Your story was very poignant and, as you said, very depressing!
ReplyDeleteI like how you changed your friend's name and instrument. My question is: why did you want to make this more "anonymous"? Is it because it is posted on the internet?
It seems like you try to "hide", or veil, your identity by concealing HIS identity (does that make any sense??)
Regarding your writing, I found it very mature, and, like you said, I could kind of feel that you had "censored" it, which is absolutely fine!
Just a small advice for the future, maybe try to give your text a little more of a conclusion feel, and it will be perfect!
I also like the moral, the message behind your experience, and I'm sure a lot of people have endured similar ones (sadly enough).